GDL attorneys understand that in matters of bankruptcy and foreclosure, speed and precision are a must. GDL attorneys provide cost-sensitive yet sophisticated representation to creditors in bankruptcy, lenders and borrowers in foreclosure proceedings, owners and contractors in mechanic’s lien disputes, condominium developers in disputes with purchasers, owners and lien-holders with claims on title insurance policies, District of Columbia tax sale purchasers seeking to foreclose the right of redemption, owners and lien-holders seeking to redeem properties from D.C. tax sales and plaintiffs and defendants in other general civil litigation.
GDL’s bankruptcy practice includes filing proofs of claim, litigating objections to claims, filing motions for relief from the automatic stay, defending preference and other avoidance actions, reviewing debtors’ proposed disclosure statements and plans of reorganization and otherwise advancing the interests of creditors in bankruptcy proceedings.
GDL’s foreclosure practice in the District of Columbia includes foreclosing against both residential and commercial properties. GDL attorneys are capable of handling a large volume of foreclosure and mortgage related bankruptcy cases.
Attorneys at GDL also routinely assist their clients in the following areas:
- Providing advice with regard to problem loans and with respect to the structuring and negotiation of workout and forbearance agreements with borrowers in default;
- Facilitating collection from the estates of deceased borrowers;
- Instituting foreclosure proceedings as to real estate secured by mortgages or deeds of trust;
- Clearing title defects prior to sale; and
- Obtaining relief from the automatic stay in bankruptcy proceedings, which is triggered by the filing of a bankruptcy petition, so as to permit secured creditors to foreclose on real estate security.